Monday, October 8, 2012

Filled to the brim with him!


I have a friend who unashamedly admits that it is not necessary for her to attend worship, saying she daily communes with God and in his Word. However, she also confesses that she needs Holy Communion and so comes to worship every now and again to get it. I thought of her when reading the following from Henri Nouwen's Spiritual Formation: Following the Movements of the Spirit:
Jesus never said "Munch and sip" the bread and wine. He said "Eat me up, drink me empty, take it all in. Don't hold back. I want to become part of you. I want you to become part of me. I don't want to be separate anymore. I want to live within you so that when you eat and drink I disappear because I am within you. I want to make my home in you, and invite you to make your home in me." (See John 6:53-58)
My friend mentioned above is going through a fitful bout in and out of cancer, being pronounced in remission and then again not. So I've offered to take Communion to her. Whenever and wherever we next join together in same, it will be more divine and sublime than ever!