Thursday, August 4, 2011

Child-like, Not Childish

"...a grown-up faith that retained
so much of its childlike certitude"

Kathleen Norris describing her grandmother's faith
in Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith

Norris describes her grandmother's living faith "Not as a list of 'things I believe,' but the continual process of learning (and relearning) what it means to love God, my neighbor, and myself." We've got a lot to learn, no? Thank God we have the most capable teacher, Jesus himself. I'm remembering someone who told me that the term "Rabbi", or teacher, is the most-used title of Jesus in the New Testament. Hmmm...

I'm also remembering the best teachers I ever had--not so much the subject matter that they taught me but their teaching of subjects that mattered. Not so much what they taught from a book but that they themselves were a book--and a book I wanted to read. I wanted, and want, to be like them--knowledgeable, to be sure but, more than that, possessing an irresistible character and spirit, keeping me humble but inspiring me, just the same, to be all that I could be and, in fact, was and am.

Another definition of living faith?